Thursday, September 01, 2005

Who the heck am I again?

"I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day and assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Ever had a day where you don't recognise yourself?

You wake up, floss, brush, rinse, take a shower. And when you catch yourself in the bathroom mirror, you wonder, who the fuck am I?

What the fuck am I doing here? Where the fuck am I heading in my life? Am I who I believe myself to be, when did I turn into the person I want people to see?

I always joke and talk about my addiction to cigs and I do enjoy a good beer. But, I have regressed into a social smoker. And I wonder if I ever was a 'serious' smoker. I can go without a smoke for days, then suddenly smoke 1/4 of a pack, having coffee with a friend.

Smoking used to be a big part of me. I love the feel nicotine gives you. I have always hated the smell of smoke, but I love the shapes and swirls smoke takes on. The whisps and circles. I was a chimney. I used to be one.

But smoking was a part of my identity. It was what people associated me with. And now, I don't really smoke anymore. I'm more dressed up, (for fuck's sake, i use eyeliner), wear heels and I tone, cleanse and moisturise my skin. I'm no longer the grungy, daggy, girl I used to be.

I was a cargo pants and tshirt sort of chick, sports shoes, thongs (as in slippers, flips flops, not the underwear bit). I wear thongs now! G strings, as in underwear. I confuse myself.

I have pretty pink things to sleep in, I worry about my bra and undies matching. I'm losing who I thought I was. I don't even really drink coffee anymore.

I used to live on cigs and coffee my first year in Australia. I chose coffee and cigs over food.

I'm becoming more cynical, more jaded.

I had an interesting comment on my blog the other day. I deleted it in anger, if its you, write another one. It basically had the gist of, if i recall, "Your blog is so me-myself-and-I. You are a selfish writer and a bad one too. You never comment about current issues or anything but just write about yourself. It's boring and I hate it etc etc etc" I'm not quoting. I'm just writing what I remember.

Ok, so I talk about myself. A lot. It's MY blog. MINE! MINE! MINE!

Not asking anyone to like it, let alone read it. I'm still mildly suprised when people tell me they read my blog.

Here, in the semi-anonymous world of the internet, I can sorta be myself.

I'm just showing one strange side of my personality. We make a team, my personalities and I. You want polite? Switch to 'cupping-balls-of-lecturer' mode. You want peeved? Switch to "you-mean-i-get-5-pieces-of-chicken-for-$6". Actually a true story. Never quite been so bitchy in my life.

So maybe, me, being me, means not being me all the time. It's a team effort. We all take turns on the playing field. Those better ones get left out to bat longer. Bad ones get disqualified, but throw a fit and return later after being suspensed for a while. The referee continues blowing the whistle. I have no idea how I, being a non-sports fan, used a sports analagy for me.

But as House said, "There's no 'I' in team. But if you shuffle the letters around, there's a 'ME'."

2 comments:

sway said...

*laughs* you are yourself. don't let other people dictate what you write.

The Green Fairy said...

I'm not. I'm still gonna be selfish and let my blog be all about me. Fuck current affairs. People all have opinions and I can't be bothered commenting on the same things.